Latha Chandran, MD, MPH, MBBS (2016)
SUNY at Stony Brook School of Medicine
SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8111
Phone: (631) 444-1030
Education Committee Tasks
- Develop an annual educational agenda for APA and submit to Board for approval.
- Create task forces to implement annual agenda and appoint leaders for key activities.
- Provide follow-up on past projects: e.g., support continuing development, evaluation and dissemination of the Educational Guidelines for Pediatric Residency.
- Lead the APA Faculty Development Program in collaborationwith the Faculty Development SIG.
- Participate in planning for the Academic Pediatric Generalist fellowship accreditation program.
- Choose topic, submit abstract and conduct committee-sponsored workshop for PAS.
- Communicate with larger membership of the Education Committee about new opportunities and activities.
- Write articles on current activities for the APA newsletter.
- Plan and maintain committee webpage on the APA website.
- Review abstracts for PAS workshops.
- Review abstracts for PAS presentations.
- Assist with selection of the annual APA Teaching Award (to programs) and Young Investigator Award.
- Choose annual winner of Helfer Award (to individuals, based on submitted abstracts in the education domain) Oversee Miller/Sarkin Mentoring Award process Represent the APA at the AAP Committee on Pediatric Education (COPE).
Plan for spring PAS meeting:
- Report to the Board
- Educ committee meeting agenda
- Committee-sponsored workshop
- FD Program activities
October 2012 Newsletter Article
Brief update from the Educational Guidelines Working Group
Thank you for all who responded to the call from The Educational Guidelines Working Group who in collaboration with the Education Committee solicited volunteers to update or build new resource lists in about 70 topic areas in the APA Educational Guidelines for Pediatric Residency. As a result of your efforts most of the topics have contributors. For those of you who have signed up for topics we look forward to seeing your resources. If you are interested in getting involved it is not too late to contribute. We are still in need of contributors for some of the subspecialty topics, so if you are interested in getting involved or want to learn more about this effort email Joe Gigante at firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Awards Task Force named
As a part of the APA strategic planning process, recognition of excellence through awards for trainees and faculty was identified as a priority initiative. Dorene Balmer has been selected to lead efforts to develop a proposal for the Board's consideration to implement new awards that recognize our members' vital contributions as teachers. Other members of the task force include: Chris Peltier, Lindsey Lane, Nancy Spector, Dan Rauch, Marta King, Michael Bowman and Maryellen Gusic. Currently, the APA acknowledges the accomplishments of educators through the annual presentation of the Teaching Program Award, the Miller-Sarkin Mentoring Award, and the Ray E. Helfer Award.
Education Committee Chair