Latha Chandran, MD, MPH, MBBS (2016)
SUNY at Stony Brook School of Medicine
SUNY at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8111
Phone: (631) 444-1030
Education Committee/Chair Responsibilities
Core programs and activities
- The Education Committee Chair must provide oversight of all educational activities listed as APA core programs. These include
- Educational Scholars Program
- Educational Guidelines for Residency Training
- Academic General Pediatrics Fellowship Accreditation Program
- Residents as Teacher Website and Curriculum ( as of 2014)
- Coordinate APA collaborations and activities with COMSEP and APPD including PEEAC conference every other year.
- Represent the APA at the AAP Committee on Pediatric Education (COPE).
Activities during term
- Create executive committee/task forces to implement agenda and appoint key leaders for activities as needed
- Engage committee members in the review of abstracts for PAS workshops and presentations.
- Review responsibilities of position with incoming chair.
The Education Committee Chair is responsible for coordinating the following awards provided by the APA.
- Miller-Sarkin Mentoring Award
- Helfer Award for the Best Educational Abstract
- APA annual teaching award to programs
- APA annual teaching award to faculty
- Communicate with membership regarding opportunities and activities via emails, surveys, tweets, APA wiki etc.
- Provide updates to general membership via APA newsletter write ups
- Review and provide updated website materials to the APA web manager to ensure accuracy of content
Responsibilities as an APA board member
- Review, update and participate in the implementation of the APA Strategic Plan
- Submit annual report to the board
- Participate in bimonthly phone calls ( third Tuesday 12-1:30pm ET)
- Attend fall and spring board meetings
- Attend appropriate regional meetings
PAS meeting responsibilities
- Chair Education Committee Meeting at PAS meeting
- Develop annual/triennial agenda
- Attend APA board meeting, past officers breakfast, membership meeting, board/awardee dinner meeting