New Century Scholars Application
APA NEW CENTURY SCHOLARS APPLICATION 2017
Application submission deadline: Tuesday, November 1, 2016
We will be selecting 8 new NCScholars for the 2017 class (who will join the 8 NCScholars from the previous year). Requirements for applying include:
- You must be a second year resident in a Pediatric Residency Program or a third year resident in a Med/Peds residency program. Please contact the program director if you have any questions.
V. Faye Jones, MD, MSPH, PhD - firstname.lastname@example.org
Rachel J. Thornton, MD, PhD - email@example.com
- A member of an under-represented minority group. URM is defined as a group whose representation in medicine is less than that in the general population. Historically, the following groups have been defined as URM: African American, Mexican American, Puerto Rican, West Indian/Caribbean, Alaskan Native, Native American, and Hawaiian/Pacific Islander. However, we will be as flexible as possible when defining URM for this program.
- Applicants should have an interest in pursuing an academic career in pediatrics (e.g., conducting research and/or being an educator at a medical school, teaching hospital, or other similar setting). Furthermore, an interest in pursuing scholarly activities in the areas of racial/ethnic health disparities, minority child health and development, sociocultural determinants of health, and cultural competency will weigh heavily in the selection process.
- NCScholars are required to attend the annual meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) during the time they are in the program, i.e., 2nd and 3rd year of residency (travel grants are awarded to the NCScholars to attend). The 2017 meeting will be held in San Francisco, CA May 6-9, 2016. If you cannot attend the PAS meetings, please do not apply to this program.
- To complete an application for the 2017 APA New Century Scholars Program, please click here.
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection team, and applicants will be notified of selection decisions by the end of the January. Selected NCScholars will be matched with mentors in early 2017 (before the PAS meetings).
Information about the program can be found here.
If you have any questions, contact Marina Seyon at the APA office (Marina@academicpeds.org).
Good luck, and thanks for your interest in the APA New Century Scholars Program,
V. Faye Jones, MD, MSPH, PhD - Co-Director ( firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rachel J. Thornton, MD, PhD - Co-Director ( email@example.com)