Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
The Region VI Breakfast was very successful. About 25 attendees networked and listened to brief presentations from 3 national officers (David Jaffe, President, Jane Knapp, Health Care Delivery Chair and David Keller, President Elect). The Region was able to support two trainee awardees - Kelly Bush from the University of Wisconsin and Shri Chinta from Washington University. They were also introduced and had their posters available to discuss.
Coming up this year will be three new initiatives:
- A new wiki for the region and other APA activities.
- Trainee poster mentoring at the PAS - volunteers will be sought and will go to trainees' posters and give feedback.
- Teaching awards - this new program is in its formative stages but start thinking about excellent teachers at your institution to nominate for these new awards.
Bernie Eskridge from the University of Missouri at Columbia was thanked for his leadership over the past 3 years. Bernie is not going away because he will be continuing as the region's web and wikimaster. Anita Moonjely from the University of Iowa is the new Region VI co-chair. Congratulations to both Anita and Bernie.
Save the Date
Region VI's fall meeting will be Friday September 20, 2013 in Kansas City. The Clinical Advances in Pediatrics Symposium will be September 17 to 20 at noon. We will meet on Friday afternoon starting with a box lunch networking and business meeting (we hope with their famous barbeque). We are trying to include one of the national officers along with workshops and presentations. Kansas City has excellent museums (new aquarium, National WW1 museum, and world-class art museum), events and festivals (the art festival is this weekend), restaurants and unique shops. Registration and hotel information will be available soon. If you have suggestions for the program please send those suggestions to one of the Region Co-Chairs
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Invited science proposal deadline - June 28, 2013
- Call for reviewers -July 9, 2013 - remember to volunteer or help a junior faculty learn to review.
- Workshop proposal deadline - September 9, 2013
- Region VI meeting in Kansas City - September 20, 2013
- Original science submission deadline - November 19, 2013
- PAS in Vancouver May 3-6, 2014
Other Important Information
- Newsletter items can be submitted to the national office or the regional co-chairs at anytime
- Nominations for regional co-chair - nominate yourself or someone else at anytime by contacting the region co-chairs
Region 6 Virtual Meeting
Held via WebEx (available online, as a download for your PC/MAC, and on your iDevice)
9:00 AM to 12:00 PM on March 10th
Please visit www.webex.com and look around to learn information about the service prior to its use at the meeting. Alternatively, you can go to http://www.webex.com/go/us_quick_tour to view a brief overview of the service. At least being oriented to the software will be a great head start.
- April 2013
- February 2013
- October 2012
- August 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- December 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- April 2011
- February 2011
- October 2010
Current Region VI Co-Chairs:
The University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242-1009
Phone: (319) 353-7762
Anita Moonjely, MD
University of Iowa Children's Hospital
200 Hawkins Drive
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: (356) 852-8524
Sharon Wilkerson, MD
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
2401 Gillham Rd
Kansas City, MO 64108
Phone: (816) 234-3892