YIA Program FAQs
- Can a YIA applicant apply for 2 different awards in same funding cycle?
Yes, applicants may submit more than one proposal provided that each has a different research question. Only one award, however, will be given per Principal Investigator per year.
- Why are the amounts of the awards different?
As the award categories are supported by grants received by different funding agencies, the maximum award amount and requirements vary.
- What is the definition of young investigator?
Young investigators are defined as: 1) faculty members who are no more than five years out from completion of all training as of the date letters of intent are due; 2) fellows; or 3) residents.
- Should check lists be submitted with the letter of intent or full proposal?
No, these documents are intended to assure you prepare all necessary materials and should not be submitted.
- My institution requires I include indirect costs. Is this acceptable?
Indirect costs are not acceptable and will not be considered.
- Can I include funds for a statistician in my budget?
Yes, direct costs for statisticians are acceptable, as long as they are properly justified in the proposal.
- What if my project fits into 2 award categories?
You must choose only one category for submission.
- Where do I send my proposal?
The deadline has passed.
- To whom should letters be addressed?
Letters should be addressed to Cynthia Minkovitz, MD, MPP, Chair, APA Young Investigator Award Program, 6728 Old McLean Village Drive, McLean, VA 22101. Please note, that letters need to be uploaded on the submission website with all required elements of the proposal.
- What format should I use for my biosketch?
The biographical sketch should follow the standard NIH biosketch form. For this purpose, the biosketch is not to exceed two pages. The form can be found at the following site: http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/biosketch.doc; instructions for filling it out can be found at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/phs398/biosketchsample.doc
- I am not an APA member; can I still submit a letter of intent?
Yes, as long as your letter of intent is accompanied or preceded by an application for APA membership. It is possible to submit an application for membership at www.academicpeds.org/aboutUs/about_membership_application.cfm
- What happened to the APA-Commonwealth Fund YIA, the APA-AHRQ YIA and the APA-Aetna Foundation YIA?
These funding opportunities were available in past years, however they are no longer available.