Advocacy Training SIG
The Advocacy Training SIG is composed of trainees (students, residents, and fellows) as well as faculty mentors interested in the development of training curricula and programs that promote advocacy education as a core component of pediatric professionalism.
The Advocacy Training SIG supports community outreach, health promotion, and health policy activity as an integral part of medical training and ongoing career advocacy for social change.
- To support the development of pediatricians who are able to identify the needs of their communities
- To facilitate exchange of ideas between educators and trainees in best practices in advocacy education
- To maintain the presence of advocacy in professional development at academic training centers and for community pediatricians
- Workshop development and support at the PAS Annual meeting
- SIG meeting with support for trainee research and program planning
- Themed meetings with expert discussants
- Trainee plenary presentations and poster session
- Support for CPTI programs
- Dissemination of best practices advocacy curricula and innovation
This year, our Advocacy Training SIG and Teaching in Community Settings SIG joined forces and had a fun and lively presentation at PAS. Our focus was on successful community partnerships and how to train residents with a wide variety of time and resources. We heard from experts Dr. Lisa Chamberlain and Dr. Ben Hoffman on their successes, lessons learned, and educational theories to use in creating community experiences. Next, faculty from varied programs large and small gave examples of how to make this happen! Finally our resident oral presentations and posters stole the show! We continue to be amazed at what our up and coming pediatric leaders are doing to affect child health in their communities. We heard about resident-led Pediatricians at the Capitol, ED visits with Adolescent mental health screening, how residents in Toronto are running a free clinic for uninsured children, and many other incredible examples of advocacy in action! We were energized to have over 50 attendees, many of whom were trainees and new faces. If you are interested in joining our SIG and hearing more about advocacy efforts please email us and we will get you connected!
Your Advocacy Training SIG Co-chairs:
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Sara Bode, MD
1919 E. Thomas
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Phone: (602) 820-7701
Marianne Dunlap, MD
1200 Children's Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: (405) 271-4407
Nancy Kelly, MD, MPH
Children's Medical Center
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: (214) 456-7691
Marjorie Rosenthal, MD
269 West Rock Ave
New Haven, CT 06515
Phone: (203) 785-6377