Advocacy Training SIG
The Advocacy Training SIG is composed of trainees (students, residents, and fellows) as well as faculty mentors interested in the development of training curricula and programs that promote advocacy education as a core component of pediatric professionalism.
The Advocacy Training SIG supports community outreach, health promotion, and health policy activity as an integral part of medical training and ongoing career advocacy for social change.
- To support the development of pediatricians who are able to identify the needs of their communities
- To facilitate exchange of ideas between educators and trainees in best practices in advocacy education
- To maintain the presence of advocacy in professional development at academic training centers and for community pediatricians
- Workshop development and support at the PAS Annual meeting
- SIG meeting with support for trainee research and program planning
- Themed meetings with expert discussants
- Trainee plenary presentations and poster session
- Support for CPTI programs
- Dissemination of best practices advocacy curricula and innovation
The APA Advocacy Training SIG invites you to join our session at the 2016 Pediatric Academic Societies Meeting on Monday, May 2nd from 8:30am-11:30am.
This year our session will focus on ways all pediatricians (generalists and sub-specialists) can advocate for children. Our two guest speakers will be Dr. Nina Kadan-Lottick (Hematology-Oncology) and Dr. Shetal Shah (Neonatology). During the second half of our session we will hear about unique and innovative advocacy projects completed by medical students, residents, and fellows. These will include poster and oral presentations.
Please come join us!
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Sara Bode, MD
1919 E. Thomas
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Phone: (602) 820-7701
Marianne Dunlap, MD
1200 Children's Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: (405) 271-4407
Nancy Kelly, MD, MPH
Children's Medical Center
Dallas, TX 75235
Phone: (214) 456-7691
Marjorie Rosenthal, MD
269 West Rock Ave
New Haven, CT 06515
Phone: (203) 785-6377