Advocacy Training SIG
The Advocacy Training SIG is composed of trainees (students, residents, and fellows) as well as faculty mentors interested in the development of training curricula and programs that promote advocacy education as a core component of pediatric professionalism.
The Advocacy Training SIG supports community outreach, health promotion, and health policy activity as an integral part of medical training and ongoing career advocacy for social change.
- To support the development of pediatricians who are able to identify the needs of their communities
- To facilitate exchange of ideas between educators and trainees in best practices in advocacy education
- To maintain the presence of advocacy in professional development at academic training centers and for community pediatricians
- Workshop development and support at the PAS Annual meeting
- SIG meeting with support for trainee research and program planning
- Themed meetings with expert discussants
- Trainee plenary presentations and poster session
- Support for CPTI programs
- Dissemination of best practices advocacy curricula and innovation
Advocacy Training SIG at PAS 2012!
Sunday April 29 from 12 - 3 PM.
Dr. Alice Kuo, Associate Professor in the Department of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and in the Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health, to review the recently completed HRSA-funded project of incorporating a public health curriculum into pediatric residency training programs.
A panel discussion by three of the institutions that implemented this curriculum will complement her talk focusing on lessons learned, approaches to integrating the curriculum within each individual institution and successful strategies. Questions from the audience will be encouraged, with the hopes of stimulating similar endeavors.
Oral presentations of two trainee advocacy projects or research in advocacy, and a poster session featuring other trainees! pediatric health related community projects or public policy initiatives will follow.
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Marianne Dunlap, MD
1200 N. Phillips Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73104
Phone: (405) 271-4407
Marjorie Rosenthal, MD
269 West Rock Ave
New Haven, CT 06515
Phone: (203) 785-6377
Jennifer Walthall, MD MPH
8701 Lepart Court
Indianapolis, IN 46278
Phone: (319) 228-0940