Hospital Medicine SIG
Pediatric Hospital Medicine Meeting 2014
July 24-27, 2014
Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts
Lake Buena Vista, FL
Click here for more information
Call for Conundrums
Due: Friday, January 17, 2014 at Noon EST
For more information and to submit your proposal click here
Call for Abstracts
Due: Friday, January 17, 2014 at 5 pm EST
For more information and to submit your proposal click here
- QI: Learn more about the VIP network Click Here
- Education: The PHM Roundtable Education Taskforce created a central repository of resources for all of the topics listed in the PHM Core Competencies.
- The repository can be accessed at http://sites.google.com/site/phmeducationresources/home.
- The core competencies themselves are available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jhm.v5.2s/issuetoc.
- The APA's Educational Scholars Program description can be accessed through Educational Scholars Program Description. Click here to see a list of Hospitalists involved in the APA's Educational Scholars Program and their project titles.
- Fellowships: For the latest list of Hospital Medicine fellowships as of August 2012, click here. For additional information on existing fellowship programs, check out the APA Fellows Corner and the AAP SOHM listing.
- Research: Learn more about the PRIS network at www.prisnetwork.org
- Strategic Planning (STP) Committee Activities: The STP Committee has recently issued an update on their work examining the pros/cons of each training/certification option for the field of pediatric hospital medicine. Review the STP summary of methods to learn more about the general approach they took. See the pros/cons list for the training/certification options the STP Committee reviewed, including Residency track, Extra training, No change, Focus of practice, and Fellowship, here. Finally, visit the STP blog (see blog site information for instructions) to see the public conversation and leave a public comment. Private comments to the STP Committee can be directed to PHM.StrategicPlanning@gmail.com or the Hospital Medicine SIG Co-Chairs.
- Joint Council: Through collaborative efforts of our three core societies (the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Academic Pediatric Association, and the Society of Hospital Medicine), we have created our annual tri-sponsored conference, have supported the development of our robust PRIS research network, and continue to foster activities in education, quality collaboratives, work force and practice management. Building on this foundation, and in an effort to formalize the roles and relationships with our core societies to better coordinate efforts on behalf of all of us and our patients and families, the Joint Council of Pediatric Hospital Medicine governance document was created. It was reviewed and is supported by the leadership of the core societies and was presented for discussion at the July Pediatric Hospital Medicine meeting in Kansas City.
The Academic Pediatric Hospitalist
Fall is here and the new academic year is under way. What are your plans to advance your career in hospital medicine? Here is a top ten list to consider
- Improve your Quality and Safety IQ. IHI offers free courses to residents, fellows, and university faculty. http://app.ihi.org/lms/onlinelearning.aspx
- Become a PRIS member and participate in multi-centered studies. http://prisnetwork.org/
- Submit an abstract for PAS 2014. Deadline is November 14th.
- Create (or update) your Educator Portfolio. A free template is provided by the APA.
- Submit a proposal for PHM 2014 - workshop or short topic. Deadline is October 25th
- Write a case report.
McCarthy LH, R., KEH (2000). "How to Write a Case Report." Family Medicine 32(3): 190-195.
- Submit a clinical conundrum for PHM 2014. Deadline is TBD - Early 2014.
- Find a mentor/Be a mentor - consider a peer mentorship group
- Consider applying for promotion. APA can help with external evaluator letters of support. See resources section below.
- Develop your own stategic plan.
Highlights of Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2013
The 2013 Pediatric Hospital Medicine Conference was an enormous success. Attendance at this year's conference exceeded the previous year by 17% with 731 in attendance. It may just be the aura of New Orleans, but the energy and excitement of the attendees was felt throughout the conference. The event started with Dr. Jeffrey Weise's inspiring account of leadership through the difficulties and aftermath of hurricane Katrina. Virginia Moyer presented the keynote address on the impact of hospital medicine on the quality of care. She also expressed encouragement in our discussions of defining the specialty of pediatric hospital medicine. Drs. Ben Bauer and Barrett Fromme continued the tradition of the top articles in pediatric medicine with creative graphs, humor, and thoughtful discussion. Management of infants with fever and the early use of antibiotics in osteomyelitis are sure to change practice going forward.
On Saturday, an open and honest dialogue occurred concerning the recent meeting with the American Board of Pediatrics. While many support the progress of developing a subspecialty, several members in the audience suggested that there be further consideration about the impact of this change on community hospitalists and med/peds hospitalists. Later that day, the presidents from all three organizations (APA, AAP, SHM) attended a town hall with the conference attendees. Our thanks go to David Keller, our APA President, who continues to be one of pediatric hospital medicines best supporters. If you have not read his comments in the August newsletter, it is definitely worth reviewing.
Joint Committee on Pediatric Hospital Medicine - JCPHM
The JCPHM met during the annual meeting with the presidents from all three organizations (APA, AAP, SOHM). The committee discussed options to ensure successful transition of the planning the PHM annual conference each year. As you may know, the conference is sponsored by one of the three organizations each year. The last conference was sponsored by the AAP, 2014 is sponsored by SOHM, and the APA will be sponsoring the 2015 conference. All three organizations are committed to the continuation and growth of the conference for years to come.
Key Events Coming up:
2014 Pediatric Academic Society Annual Meeting in Vancouver, Canada - May 3-6, 2014. The APA HM SIG meeting will highlight promoting and supporting research in pediatric hospital medicine.
Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2014 in Orlando, Florida - July 24-27, 2014.
- American Academy of Pediatrics activities: www.aap.org/sohm
- Coming up for promotion and need external evaluators?
- Resources for the Academic Hospitalist (Last updated December 2010)
Pediatric Hospital Medicine meetings
- August 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- October 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- April 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- February 2010
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Vineeta Mittal, MD
1935 Motor Street
Dallas, TX 75295
Phone: (214) 456-5527
Jeffrey Simmons, MD
3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 9016
Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039
Phone: (513) 636-6601
Karen Smith, MD, MEd
111 Michigan Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20010
Phone: (202) 476-2350