Hospital Medicine SIG
- QI: Learn more about the VIP network Click Here
- Education: The PHM Roundtable Education Taskforce created a central repository of resources for all of the topics listed in the PHM Core Competencies.
- The repository can be accessed at http://sites.google.com/site/phmeducationresources/home.
- The core competencies themselves are available at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jhm.v5.2s/issuetoc.
- The APA's Educational Scholars Program description can be accessed through Educational Scholars Program Description. Click here to see a list of Hospitalists involved in the APA's Educational Scholars Program and their project titles.
- Fellowships: For the latest list of Hospital Medicine fellowships as of August 2012, click here. For additional information on existing fellowship programs, check out the APA Fellows Corner and the AAP SOHM listing.
- Research: Learn more about the PRIS network at www.prisnetwork.org
- Strategic Planning (STP) Committee Activities: The STP Committee has recently issued an update on their work examining the pros/cons of each training/certification option for the field of pediatric hospital medicine. Review the STP summary of methods to learn more about the general approach they took. See the pros/cons list for the training/certification options the STP Committee reviewed, including Residency track, Extra training, No change, Focus of practice, and Fellowship, here. Finally, visit the STP blog (see blog site information for instructions) to see the public conversation and leave a public comment. Private comments to the STP Committee can be directed to PHM.StrategicPlanning@gmail.com or the Hospital Medicine SIG Co-Chairs.
- Joint Council: Through collaborative efforts of our three core societies (the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Academic Pediatric Association, and the Society of Hospital Medicine), we have created our annual tri-sponsored conference, have supported the development of our robust PRIS research network, and continue to foster activities in education, quality collaboratives, work force and practice management. Building on this foundation, and in an effort to formalize the roles and relationships with our core societies to better coordinate efforts on behalf of all of us and our patients and families, the Joint Council of Pediatric Hospital Medicine governance document was created. It was reviewed and is supported by the leadership of the core societies and was presented for discussion at the July Pediatric Hospital Medicine meeting in Kansas City.
- Pediatric Academic Societies 2013 - May 4-7, 2013 in Washington, D.C.
- Hospital Medicine 2013 sponsored by the Society of Hospital Medicine - May 16-19, 2013 in National Harbor, Maryland
- Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2013 - August 1-4, 2013 in New Orleans, Louisiana
Click here for more information
Click here to register
Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) meeting in Washington DC, 2013
A terrific meeting is planned for the upcoming Hospital Medicine SIG meeting at the Pediatric Academic Societies meeting on MONDAY, MAY 6, 2013 from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM in 102A. We invite you all to attend and participate in this incredible program!
Similar to last year, we'll start with updates from the Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) task forces related to ongoing projects in quality improvement (VIP network), research (PRIS network), education (PHM Roundtable), and practice management (STP Committee). Facilitated breakout sessions will allow attendees to have input in direction of these efforts. We'll also have a report from the Joint Council of Pediatric Hospital Medicine.
Then, we'll move on to SIG business, including our election! We have several terrific candidates. Each candidate will have three minutes to present his/her platform. Hospital Medicine SIG members will be receiving a survey monkey invitation to review the candidates' platforms and cast their ballot. The election will close a week after PAS.
Finally, we'll wrap up with an incredible fellowship panel. Fellowship programs in pediatric hospitalist medicine continue to grow as our field grows. Our SIG meeting highlights a panel discussion with fellowship directors, ACGME representatives, American Board representatives, and professional societies' representatives. After comments by each speaker, there will be an opportunity for questions from the audience. So come prepared to ask questions about this important topic!
Here are the details of the planned agenda:
|8:30 am - 9:00 am||Updates from Pediatric Hospital Medicine roundtable groups,
Mark Shen representing the VIP network
Karen Wilson representing the PRIS network
Jennifer Maniscalco representing the Education Taskforce
Doug Carlson representing the Workforce group
Dan Rauch representing the Joint Council of Pediatric Hospital Medicine (JCPHM)
|9:00 am - 9:30 am||Breakout sessions for pediatric hospital medicine roundtable Groups|
|9:30 am - 10:15 am||SIG business
|10:15 am - 10:30 am||Break|
|10:30 am - 11:30 am||Fellowship panel: "As we move toward consideration of certification in Hospital Medicine, what could/should fellowship in PHM look like?" Opening comment by:|
We hope to see many of you there. To receive up-to-date information about SIG meetings join our SIG roster by emailing Jennifer Padilla (Jennifer@academicpeds.org). Please remember that you have to be a member of the APA to join our SIG roster.
This year the SIG is sponsoring an evening scenic bus tour of DC followed by a casual gathering for light food and drinks on Monday, May 6, from 7-10pm. (Thanks Jimmy Beck!).
Karen Smith has kindly arranged a tour of Children's National Medical Center Hospitalist program on Friday May 3rd from 1-4 pm. This includes pickup and drop off from the convention center. If you are interested please email Brandy.Morris@cchmc.org
The APA Hospital Medicine SIG has three co-chairs. Each co-chair position is for three years. The co-chairs also serve on the JCPHM and PHM planning committee. Starting 2012, an election process was started for the co-chair position. The call for annual co-chair election (one position) was sent through our listserve. The candidates will give a brief talk at the SIG meeting following which the election will start.
We also have a record-breaking five platform sessions dedicated to Hospital Medicine! Also, don't miss the Section on Hospital Medicine-sponsored club on Monday from 12-1pm in West Salon B.
Joint Council of Pediatric Hospitalists Medicine (JCPHM) and ABP meeting
On April 4-5, the JCPHM is meeting with the American Board of Pediatrics to discuss certification options for PHM, assess the impact of each in a variety of domains, and determine the next steps for certification for PHM that include specific actions and timelines. The meeting will be attended by JCPHM members, Strategic Planning Committee (STP) co chairs, and a member of each, from community hospitalist, fellowship directors, education taskforce, residency directors, and the VIP network. Leaders from the ABP board and ACGME will attend the meeting. Dr. Stephen Ludwig has kindly agreed to be our facilitator.
The summary of this meeting with resultant outcomes and recommendations will be distributed through the various PHM LISTSERVs following the meeting, and discussed at the upcoming PAS, SHM, and PHM 2013 Meetings. As you have done over the past year or so, please feel free to contact meeting attendees and share your viewpoints with them directly. You may also communicate with JCPHM members at jointcouncilPHM@gmail.com.
Pediatric Hospital Medicine (PHM) 2013, New Orleans
The annual PHM meeting is scheduled from August 1-4, 2013 in New Orleans, LA. This year we celebrate our 10th anniversary! Make plans now for the premier gathering of your colleagues from across the spectrum of our field.
Highlights from the Planning Committee include Society for Pediatric Sedation Provider Course and the Pediatric Fundamentals of Critical Care Support course that is offered by the Society of Critical Care Medicine before the conference; a new community hospitalist track and early career track and many more workshops, platforms, posters, and conundrums.
Important dates to remember
Pediatric Academic Societies meeting 2013- May 4-7, Washington DC
Hospital Medicine 2013 sponsored by the Society of Hospital Medicine, May16-19, in National Harbor, MD
Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2013-August 1-4, New Orleans, LA
Pediatric Education Excellence across the Continuum (PEEAC) Conference October 4-5, Arlington, VA
Please take advantage of these opportunities for personal and professional growth and to contribute to advancements in Pediatric Hospital Medicine.
- American Academy of Pediatrics activities: www.aap.org/sohm
- Coming up for promotion and need external evaluators?
- Resources for the Academic Hospitalist (Last updated December 2010)
Pediatric Hospital Medicine meetings
- February 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- February 2012
- October 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- April 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- June 2010
- February 2010
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Vineeta Mittal, MD
1935 Motor Street
Dallas, TX 75295
Phone: (214) 456-5527
Jeffrey Simmons, MD
3333 Burnet Avenue, MLC 9016
Cincinnati, OH 45229-3039
Phone: (513) 636-6601
Tamara D. Simon, MD, MSPH
Seattle Children's Research Inst. Bldg 1, M/S C9S-10
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: (206) 884-1136