Medical Informatics and Electronic Health Records (EHR) SIG
Pediatric healthcare practitioners interested in the use of information technologies to support patient care, teaching, research and health care administration. We have diverse backgrounds, talents, and interests. Some are "techies" and others just want use the technology to help them take care of patients. EVERYONE is welcome.
The Medical Informatics and Electronic Health Records (EHR) SIG goals are to:
- Provide a forum for APA members to discuss all aspects of pediatric medical and present their scholarly work in the field
- Offer opportunity to network with other pediatric professionals interested in pediatric medical informatics.
- Introduce other pediatric professionals to the field of medical informatics
Join SIG Listserv
What do I get if I join the Medical Informatics and Electronic Health Records (EHR) SIG?
We meet at the Pediatric Academic Societies meeting in May each year. We often have a theme presentation with lots of ensuing discussion. We also have had short presentations on different topics. It is a great forum to meet people and get ideas.
We also have our own listserve that offers the opportunity for online discussions and communicates information to the MI SIG membership as well.
There is also the opportunity to work on potential projects through the MI SIG.
Previous Annual Meeting topics
- 2010 – Meaningful Use of Medical Informatics and Creation of a new Subspeciality in Medical Informatics
- 2009 – Careers in Medical informatics
- 2008 – Medical Informatics Round Robin
- 2007 – Pediatric Medical Informatics and Public Policy
- 2006 – Health Information Technology Standards
- 2005 – Bioinformatics: Integrating Computers, Basic Science and Clinical Medicine
- 2004 – Clinical Physician Order Entry
What is Medical Informatics?
From the American Medical Informatics Association
(http://www.amia.org/inside. 2008) :
"Biomedical and health informatics applies principles of computer and information science to the advancement of life sciences research, health professions education, public health, and patient care. This multidisciplinary and integrative field focuses on health information and communication technologies (HICT), and involves the computer, cognitive, and social sciences. Biomedical and health informatics has developed its own areas of emphasis and approaches that sets it apart from other professions and disciplines.
Biomedical and health informatics is an emerging, interdisciplinary and diverse field that combines health sciences (such as medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy and allied health) with computer science, management and decision science, biostatistics, engineering and information technology.
Solves problems in health care delivery, pharmaceutical, biomedical and health sciences research, health education and clinical/medical decision making. Is essential in all aspects of health care and biomedicine."
Current SIG Co-Chairs:
Eric Shelov, MD
521 S. 27th St
Philadelphia, PA 19146
Phone: (917) 584-3405
Emily Webber, MD
702 Barnhill Dr
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Phone: (317) 948-2700